Thursday, April 27, 2017

Something I learned

Something I learned
       This week, I have learned a lot of knowledge from my classes, such as: Science class, ELL class and History class. In the Science class, I learned how to build a trebuchet as a teamwork. In my ELL class, I learned how to find facts or opinions in a passage. In my history class, I learned the time period of Renaissance. But in this Blog, I will tell you what I learned in my Algebra class.
       During Monday’s class, Mr. Mitchell gave us a very interesting question: 1888, 2777, 3666, 4555, 6444. Which number is the greatest one? When I saw this question, I tried to use my calculator to calculate each of these numbers and then compare which one is the greatest, but these numbers are all very big numbers except 1888 equal to1.The calculator had trouble to calculate this type of numbers, so I couldn’t find any ways to solve this question.
       After we tried this question, some of my classmates guessed the greatest number is 2777, some of them guessed 6444. Next, Mr. Mitchell said that we need to find a way to solve it, but not guess it. So he wrote three rules of math that could help us to solve this question. First is the common-base principle of multiplication: bm•bn=bm+n; Second one is the common-base principle of division: bm/bn=bm-n; Third is to rewrite a number as bmn= (bm) n.
       After he wrote these three rules on the board, I knew how to do that question. I just used the third rule to rewrite each number to 1888= (18)111, 2777= (27)111, 3666= (36)111, 4555= (45)111, 6444= (64)111. If we did this, we just needed to compare 18, 27, 36, 45, 64, and find which number is the greatest. Finally, I found 64=1296 is the greatest, it means 6444 is the greatest.
       If my Algebra teacher Mr. Mitchell did not teach us three rules of this type of question, I would never know how to solve it, but luckily he did. That was what I learned this week.
(I feel like I am writing my math journal, but this is really my English Blog.) -haha-


1 comment: